Sunday, February 7, 2010

Boys


I have been reading a book called "Boys Should Be Boys." While I'm not finished with it I think it should be a mandatory read for all parents of boys. In the first few chapters the author explains why boys have such a fascination with nature. Nature gives them a "physical and imaginative testing ground.... and a sense of freedom."

Last night Chris announced that he was going to sleep outside. He has always wanted to test the limits of his sleeping bag and with the recent snow storm and the fact that it was going to get down to 9 degrees that night, he decided this was the perfect opportunity. The female in me wanted to say "your an idiot. Why would you want to freeze yourself on purpose and sleep on the ground when you have a perfectly good bed 20 feet away?" However, the newly enlightened and educated me realized that Chris was just answering the call of the wild. So I encouraged him. I told him it was a great idea and that he probably wouldn't get another chance like this. Although, I will admit that part of the encouragement came from the prospect of having the bed to myself.

I guess it doesn't matter how old you get, sometimes a boy just needs to be a boy.

2 comments:

The Donnells said...

I totally understand the nature calling to boys thing. And to an extent also feel it, but there are times when it is nice to sleep in your own warm comfy bed.

my name is becky kelly said...

hahahah, that's funny. The woman in me says "Have fun! Take the kids!"